1947 the idea to form a motorcycle parade unit and a drill
team, with the mystique of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle,
was generated at a meeting of the Drum and Bugle Corps
and members of the Jackson County Shrine Club. This idea
led to a special meeting Jan. 23, 1948, and the first
election of officers was held. In July of 1948, several
members went to get approval from the Imperial Council,
and returned with a charter as the First Harley-Davidson
motorcycle units to not only represent Ararat Shrine Center
but the Imperial Council of North America as well. As
a matter of history and fact, records indicate that this
unit was the first organized two-wheeled unit to be sanctioned
by the Imperial Council.
First practices were held at 40 highway and Manchester,
and 14th and McGee. Although, many other spots
have hosted practice between 1948 and now, today we are
very proud to use the practice field located behind our
Shrine building. You can usually find us there each Sunday
afternoon during the warm months, honing our skills and
The Ararat Motor corps was a primary leader in the establishment
of the Central States Association of Shrine Motor Corps
and the International Association of Shrine Motor Corps.
Ararat has had members participate as Line Officers and
Presidents of both organizations and regularly competes
in drill, obstacle course and slow ride competitions in
both organizations. Ararat Motor Corps boasts a very high
percentage of “First Place” wins in all competitions competed.
While supporting all activities of Ararat Shrine Center,
our support of the Shrine Hospitals for Children has always
been exemplified by our motto, “OUR WHEELS TURN SO
CRIPPLED CHILDREN MAY WALK”. We have a yearly ride
called the “Ride of Champions”. It is a “poker run”, on
motorcycles, designed to promote brotherhood.
The Ararat Motor Corps is a very proud unit with years
of history. To learn more and acquire how to become a
member or social member, please contact our Membership Chairman listed above.